[PlanetKR] Short Survey on Diversity and Inclusion in KR

Judy Goldsmith goldsmit at cs.uky.edu
Wed Oct 6 18:40:35 UTC 2021

Dear Vladimir,

As a queer and female person in the greater CS/AI community, your email
made me PROFOUNDLY uncomfortable.  I am tenured.  I can now afford to
say that yes, I have had experiences at AI and other CS conferences that
make me uncomfortable.  I have looked around the table or conference
session room and thought that one of these folks (me) is not like the
others, and voices like mine or my friends are not being heard.  I have
heard talks that make a joke out of objectifying women's bodies, at
times when I did not feel safe objecting.  I have objected to things in
talks, and been scolded or shunned, or had my work at that conference
dismissed.

It has been years since I attended KR, so I cannot point to specific
incidents.  But I am in a position, unlike students and untenured
faculty, to respond.  You are asking people to expose themselves in ways
that make them/us feel vulnerable, just so you can make a point.

I am sure that Vanina can quote statistics about retention of women,
people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, etc.  The disturbing
homogeneity of our field is a major sign.  The lack of trust in your
email is another sign.  Yes.  Yes, we have been uncomfortable in
expressing, in being, who we are.  Suggesting that this might not be the
case is another way of reinforcing our invisibility, our lack of voice
in the community.

We are all very busy people.  Vanina and many others would not be
spending time and energy and resources on a nonexistent problem. You can
offer support, you can increase that workload, or you can step aside.

With all due respect,

    Judy Goldsmith