[PlanetKR] Fully funded PhD position available at CRIL CNRS Université d’Artois (Lens, France)

Srdjan Vesic vesic at cril.fr
Thu Mar 9 13:04:42 UTC 2023

Fully funded PhD position available at CRIL CNRS Université d’Artois (Lens,
France)

Starting date: Fall 2023

Duration: 3 years

Funded by: CNRS - University of Arizona joint PhD programme

To address the issues of misinformation, disinformation, and malinformation
(MDM), project SURGING (Using argumentation for fack-checking) proposes
robust and holistic fact verification methods. The proposed methods can
reduce data bias, aggregate information across multiple statements, and
yield global conclusions. While humans can utilize background and domain
knowledge to argue about the veracity of a fact, computers do not normally
have access to such information. To capture this real-world background
knowledge, we aim to mine arguments from the web and construct
domain-agnostic fact graphs that indicate if facts attack/support each
other. We then propose to develop argumentation theory-based graph
algorithms to aggregate and argue over this knowledge. Based on these
steps, we will arrive at the truthfulness value of a given argument that
considers all the background knowledge available.

Project website:
https://www.fainstitute.arizona.edu/using-argumentation-fact-checking-surfing

The PhD student will be hosted by the French team, and will primarily be
working in the area of computational argumentation. The budget is available
for yearly visits to Arizona, USA.

Supervisor: Dr Srdjan Vesic (CNRS)

Leader of the USA team: Dr Mihai Surdeanu (University of Arizona)

For more information and to apply, send a CV to vesic at cril.fr