[PlanetKR] Fully funded PhD and PostDoc positions in Knowledge Engineering for Smart Diagnostics at VU Amsterdam

Schlobach, K.S. (KS) k.s.schlobach at vu.nl
Fri Jun 30 19:32:24 UTC 2023

Dear all,

In the Knowledge in AI group (KAI) at the VU Amsterdam we have an opening for both a PhD student (4 years) and a PostDoc (3 years) in the Zorro project about Knowledge Engineering and Knowledge Representation for Smart Diagnostics.

PhD: https://workingat.vu.nl/ad/phd-position-on-knowledge-engineering-for-smart-diagnostics/kg1cbr

PostDoc: https://workingat.vu.nl/ad/postdoc-position-on-knowledge-representation-and-reasoning-for-smart-diagnostics/ih26jm

System-level diagnosis rarely makes use of explicitly modelled knowledge, such as knowledge graphs, about the various parts of the systems and processes that might be responsible for the downtime of complex cyber-physical systems. This is partially due to the fact that this knowledge is not explicitly available in formal models but is hidden in the brains of the experts or written documentation, often vaguely specified. Both PostDoc and PhD will be employed on the same project, you will work on extracting knowledge from documents and experts, how to represent this knowledge in the most suitable modelling language(s) and investigate how to apply reasoning (abductive, diagnostic, etc) to various diagnostic methods investigated in the Zorro project.

We expect potential candidates to be enthusiastic related to challenges around representing knowledge using formal methods, such as Knowledge Graphs, with relevant previous experience (MSc in CS, Logic, AI or related fields and PhD in fields related to Semantic Technologies, KR or Knowledge Elicitation, respectively).

If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me (k.s.schlobach at vu.nl<mailto:k.s.schlobach at vu.nl>)

The application deadline is 15/07/2023. We specifically encourage candidates to apply who can contribute to the diversity of our group.

Best regards

Stefan

----

Stefan Schlobach
Associate Professor at Department of Computer Science
Knowledge in Artificial Intelligence Group
VU Amsterdam