[PlanetKR] [Reminder, Tomorrow] DEON Seminar Series Spring Edition: Cleo Condoravdi – June 02

Huimin DONG huimin.dong at xixilogic.org
Thu Jun 1 04:07:13 UTC 2023

DEON Seminar Series Spring Edition: Cleo Condoravdi
– June 02
The Society of Deontic Logic and Normative Systems (DEON) has launched a seasonal online seminar series designed to promote interdisciplinary cooperation amongst scholars interested in linking the formal-logical study of normative concepts, normative language, and normative systems with computer science, artificial intelligence, linguistics, philosophy, organization theory, and law. We view the seminar series as an opportunity to keep in touch with the DEON community and listen in or contribute to presentations and informal discussions on ongoing work. Everyone who is interested in this wonderful area and its questions is welcome.
We are happy to announce that our speaker for the DEON spring seminar will be
Cleo Condoravdi
(Stanford University)
Title: Imperatives and the Indirectness of Linguistic Meaning
Abstract: Imperatives in natural language are used not only to command or prohibit, but also to request, plead, offer, permit, and even to merely express a wish, to give advice on how-to, or to concede. What is common across all these uses? I will propose that imperatives create commitments to preferences. None of the perceived interpretations of imperatives reflect their meaning directly. They all arise from inferences about why the speaker would incur the commitment. This view explains the communicative equivalence of imperatives with necessity modals in some uses, and with possibility modals in others, despite their different underlying semantics. Moreover, it explains an interesting asymmetry between goal-oriented modals and imperatives: while modals can be used to give advice on why a certain goal should be rescinded given the facts of the matter, imperatives cannot.