[PlanetKR] 4 PhD Positions in Logic-based Methods for Data Management at Umeå University (Sweden)

Mantas Šimkus simkus at cs.umu.se
Fri Jan 13 17:59:09 UTC 2023

****** 4 PhD Positions in Logic-based Methods for Data Management at Umeå University (Sweden) *****

We seek 4 PhD students to strengthen the group on Formal Techniques for Knowledge and Data Management at Umeå University (Sweden), funded by the WASP program (Wallenberg AI, Autonomous Systems and Software Program). The students will join a growing group that currently consists of WASP faculty members Diego Calvanese, Magdalena Ortiz, Mantas Šimkus, as well as PostDoc researchers and other doctoral students. The main theme of our research is the applications and further development of logic-based methods and techniques for smart data management. The students will also join the WASP Graduate School, gaining access to a vast professional network involving other top institutions in Sweden. We seek students with strong interest in the following research areas:

* Knowledge Representation and Reasoning
* Description Logics
* Foundations of Databases
* Logic for Computer Science
* Computational Complexity of Reasoning
* Non-monotonic Reasoning
* Logic Programming
* Automated Reasoning
* Formal Methods

The positions are fully funded for 4 years. Please see the official announcement for more details:

https://www.umu.se/en/work-with-us/open-positions/4-phd-student-in-computing-science-with-focus-on-logic-based-methods-for-data-management_571478/

Wallenberg AI, Autonomous Systems and Software Program (WASP) is Sweden’s largest individual research program ever, a major national initiative for strategically motivated basic research, education and faculty recruitment. The program addresses research on artificial intelligence and autonomous systems acting in collaboration with humans, adapting to their environment through sensors, information and knowledge, and forming intelligent systems-of-systems. The vision of WASP is excellent research and competence in artificial intelligence, autonomous systems and software for the benefit of Swedish industry. Read more: https://wasp-sweden.org/