[PlanetKR] 3rd ESAO Webinar, September 20, 2022 (10:00 EDT / 14:00 UTC / 16:00 CEST/SAST) - Call for Participation

Frank Loebe frank.loebe at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Tue Sep 13 22:53:20 UTC 2022

The Educational Series on Applied Ontology (ESAO) [1] is open for
everyone and welcomes students, researchers and practitioners alike.

--> The third of its regular webinar sessions will be held on

     Tuesday, September 20, 2022 at
     10:00 EDT / 14:00 UTC / 16:00 CEST/SAST via a Zoom meeting:

     Meeting ID: 937 3889 7633 Passcode: 837126

https://univ-tlse2.zoom.us/j/93738897633?pwd=R1k4bVdqSHA1ZEpXT2lkcXZyZWNyUT09

No registration needed; please find full connection details at the end
of this message.

Program
-------

* 10:00-10:30 EDT / 14:00-14:30 UTC / 16:00-16:30 CEST/SAST

   Torsten Hahmann
   School of Computing and Information Science, University of Maine

   "Where am I? Spatial knowledge in ontologies"

   Abstract: Many of the things we describe in ontologies are objects or
processes located in physical space. Examples of questions with a
location or other spatial component include: Where is the start of the
trail? What is the address I need to go to? Where again did I put my
keys? How large is the property? Where is the conference happening?
Where did you see the whale? To capture such spatial information,
ontologies provide a variety of mechanisms that range from vague,
qualitative descriptions (e.g. "after the bridge", "on my desk", "in the
Gulf of Maine"), to more precise locations ("947 Broadway", "Sherbrooke
(QC)") or even quantitative description ("1km East from here", "400 sq
m"). This talk will take the listener through different ways that are
available to describe space and locations that range from concepts
provided by top-level ontologies to more specialized spatial and
geospatial ontologies for the Semantic Web.

* 10:30-11:00 EDT / 14:30-15:00 UTC / 16:30-17:00 CEST/SAST

   Janna Hastings
   School of Medicine, University of St. Gallen, and the Institute for
Implementation Science in Health Care, University of Zurich

   "The role of ontologies in data science in support of discovery research"

   Abstract: Data science encompasses a wide range of methods which aim
to interpret and extract meaning, and new knowledge, from data. For
data-driven discovery research, the quality and suitability of the
statistical approaches are usually the focus of efforts to derive new
knowledge, while ontologies are assumed to be relevant mainly for
purposes of standardisation and exchange of existing knowledge, i.e.
subsequent to the discovery process. In this presentation, I will
discuss the role of ontologies and other pre-existing formal
representations of knowledge in the science of making new discoveries
from data, why this role is often overlooked, and how this might change
as the science of the future becomes better integrated between humans
and machines. I will illustrate with some examples taken from different
domains: metabolism and behaviour.

Series Description
------------------

The IAOA [2] has created ESAO [1], a new educational effort directed
towards topics of Applied Ontology, primarily established basics and
foundations.

The series is inspired by the Interdisciplinary Schools on Applied
Ontology (ISAO) [3] (whose next edition will be held in 2023). ESAO is
complementary in format and its overall approach. The goal is to provide
a combination of an archive of educational material (e.g., short video
lectures) and a series of webinars for presenting and discussing that
material.

Organization
------------

Members of the Education Technical Committee of IAOA [2] and among those
primarily (in alphabetical order):

* Lucía Gómez Álvarez
* Frank Loebe
* Sandra Lovrenčić
* Cassia Trojahn (Chair)
* Laure Vieu

Contact
E-Mail: info at iaoa.org

[1] Educational Series on Applied Ontology
https://wiki.iaoa.org/index.php/Edu:ESAO

[2] IAOA website
https://iaoa.org/

[3] ISAO History page