[PlanetKR] Research Fellow in Artificial Intelligence at University College London

Hunter, Anthony anthony.hunter at ucl.ac.uk
Thu Sep 9 07:12:21 UTC 2021

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

We are seeking to appoint a Research Fellow in Artificial Intelligence within UCL's Department of Computer Science to work on a 3-year project on repurposing funded by the Leverhulme Trust.

PROJECT TITLE: Repurposing of Resources: from Everyday Problem Solving to Crisis Management

PI: Anthony Hunter, UCL Department of Computer Science, London
CIs: Antonis Bikakis, Luke Dickens, and Rob Miller, UCL Department of Information Studies, London

ABSTRACT: The ability to repurpose objects and processes is an important kind of human intelligence for dealing with mundane everyday problems through to large-scale crisis management. Despite its ubiquity, it is largely unstudied in academia. To address this, we will develop a general theory, and tools based on artificial intelligence, for repurposing. We plan to harness and extend AI methods from machine learning (including supervised and semi-supervised learning from data and text) and machine reasoning (including commonsense reasoning, defeasible reasoning, ontological reasoning, and computational argumentation). To ground our research, we will use substantial case studies (for example in everyday contexts such as cooking and DIY, through to key challenges such as recycling and crisis management), and undertake systematic evaluations. Our emphasis will be on how repurposing can be emulated rather than on investigating its philosophy or psychology. However, as our findings emerge, we will disseminate our work, and seek collaborations, in multidisciplinary contexts.

RESEARCH FELLOW POSITION: We would like to recruit a post-doc with experience in machine learning and/or machine reasoning who will be happy to contribute to the development of the general theory of repurposing, to take responsibility for compiling the corpora/datasets for the case studies, and to learn about, apply, and develop techniques that combine machine learning and machine reasoning for AI tools to undertake or support repurposing.

The appointment will be on UCL Grade 7. The salary range will be £36,028 - £43,533 per annum, inclusive of London Allowance.

For informal enquiries on the post please contact Anthony Hunter (anthony.hunter at ucl.ac.uk<mailto:anthony.hunter at ucl.ac.uk>)

To get further information about the post and apply for the vacancy, please follow this link:

https://atsv7.wcn.co.uk/search_engine/jobs.cgi?owner=5041404&ownertype=fair&jcode=1878196&vt_template=965&adminview=1<https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fatsv7.wcn.co.uk%2Fsearch_engine%2Fjobs.cgi%3Fowner%3D5041404%26ownertype%3Dfair%26jcode%3D1878196%26vt_template%3D965%26adminview%3D1&data=04%7C01%7Canthony.hunter%40ucl.ac.uk%7C6479554f999540ec5dc908d96b972bb1%7C1faf88fea9984c5b93c9210a11d9a5c2%7C0%7C0%7C637659119279706396%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=EPIHVHY8ldN3XalSiJf1z8aqViGM8Gmot%2FcutNm3TTU%3D&reserved=0>

Closing date: 1 Oct 2021.