[PlanetKR] ROBONTICS 2020 -- 2nd Call for Papers

Stefano Borgo stefano.borgo at cnr.it
Sat Jun 13 04:22:35 EST 2020

++ ROBONTICS 2020 -- 2nd Call for Papers ++

International Workshop on Ontologies for Autonomous Robotics
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/V-0SCmO5EVT6q30lsGm8pO?domain=robontics2020.github.io
Submission deadline: Aug 7, 2020 [NEW!]
Workshop date: Sept. 13, 2020

*COVID-19 UPDATE*

we encourage researchers interested in the fields of robotics and
knowledge engineering to submit research and position papers by Aug 7;
accepted papers will be published in a ROBONTICS CEUR volume in 2020;

our plan is to have the paper presentations at the ROBONTICS 2021
workshop which we plan to run next year (researchers with accepted
papers at ROBONTICS 2020 will be invited to present there).

WORKSHOP MOTIVATIONS

ROBONTICS focuses on the area of robot autonomy enabled by
knowledge-driven approaches, and in particular formal ontologies. Its
aims to foster interaction across robotics, ontology, and knowledge
representation and reasoning, to match open problems to promising
approaches, and to review progress in knowledge-driven robotics.

Today ontologies are used in robotics and standardization efforts for
robotics knowledge management. Many open problems involve autonomous
robotic agents operating in natural or human environments, and several
research projects in healthcare assistance, logistics, autonomous
driving, etc, aim to bring robots into realistic human environments.

One of the difficulties is the large amount of real-world knowledge that
an agent needs to have to be able to act competently and autonomously.
Further, any item of knowledge is often relevant for many agents and
behaviors, and as such should be reusable. To garner trust and enable
debugging, knowledge should also be accessible to human operators, both
in terms of explaining what knowledge is present in a system, and of
providing ways to easily amend it if necessary.

LIST OF TOPICS (partial)

Foundational issues:
- are there some ontological approaches better suited than others for
autonomous robotics? why?
- how should we ontologically model notions like capability, action,
interaction, context, etc. in robotics?
Robustness:
- how can ontologies be used to help robots cope with the variety and
relatively fluid structure of human environments?
Ontologies in the perception-action loop:
- what roles can ontology play in autonomous manipulation?
- how can we help robots autonomously cope with manipulation problems
using ontology?
- how can ontology be used to support machine learning for object
classification?
Interactivity:
- how can knowledge about other agents present in the environment be
modeled?
- how should we ontologically model the flow of interaction, such as a
conversation or shared task?
Normed behavior:
- how should we ontologically represent, and then have a robot act
according to, norms on behavior such as cultural expectations?
- how can these expectations be acquired, and would they be the same for
robots as they are for humans?
Explainability:
- decision chains are very complex; how can these be organized and
presented at various levels of detail for the benefit of a human user?
- what is an explanation ontologically?
- what is a good explanation?
- how can an explanation be generated from the available knowledge?

IMPORTANT DATES

Submission deadline: Aug 7, 2020
Review notification: Aug 25, 2020
Camera-ready: Sept 1, 2020
Workshop: Sept 13, 2020

SUBMISSION INFORMATION

We welcome papers presenting initial or ongoing research as well as
position papers. Submitted papers must not exceed 6 pages (not including
references) in IOS Press format
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/QjmoCnx1zVUxV2yDiJPCEN?domain=iospress.nl.

Papers must be submitted electronically in PDF, using this link:
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/XXdLCoV1O9t8mRoYcVL-9l?domain=easychair.org

PUBLICATION

Accepted contributions to the workshop will be published in an
open-access CEUR volume as part of the new IAOA series (see
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/9S1QCp81z6HyZWlohGtDif?domain=ceur-ws.org.

WORKSHOP CO-CHAIRS (alphabetic order)

Daniel Beßler, University of Bremen, Germany
Stefano Borgo, ISTC-CNR, Trento, Italy
Mohammed Diab, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya, Barcelona, Spain
Aldo Gangemi, University of Bologna and ISTC-CNR, Italy
Alberto Olivares-Alarcos, Institut de Robòtica i Informàtica Industrial
(CSIC-UPC), Barcelona, Spain
Mihai Pomarlan, University of Bremen, Germany
Robert Porzel, University of Bremen, Germany