[PlanetKR] PhD and Postdoct Slots. Representation Learning for Planning. B. Bonet, H. Geffner. Barcelona

Hector Geffner hector.geffner at upf.edu
Thu Jun 11 22:02:47 EST 2020

Doctoral and Postdoctoral Openings.
Representation Learning for Planning,
Blai Bonet, Hector Geffner.  Barcelona

We have several funded slots for doctoral students and postdoctoral
researchers at the AI and ML group at the Universitat Pompeu Fabra,
Barcelona, Spain to carry out research on Representation Learning for
Planning.

The project  addresses a research problem that is at the heart of the
current split in AI between data-based learners and model-based
reasoners: the problem of learning symbolic representations from raw
perceptions.

In our case, first order symbolic representations, involving objects and
relations, are to be learned from scratch for planning and generalized
planning.
Other dimensions of representation learning to be pursued in the project
include representation grounding, transfer, composition, and scaffolding.

We are seeking highly motivated doctoral  students and postdoctoral
researchers eager to make a difference in these problems, with
experience in areas such as
machine  learning, planning,  logic and knowledge representation,
combinatorial optimization and SAT.

Ideal candidates should be able to do or learn to do theoretical and
experimental work, logic and algorithms, and  programming and
"differential programming" (deep learning).

The funds come from an Advanced ERC Grant (RLeap: From Data-based to
Model-based AI: Representation Learning for Planning), the EU funded
TAILOR network (Trustworthy AI: Integrating Learning, Optimization and
Reasoning), and a grant from the Wallenberg (KAW) Foundation and Swedish
WASP program in AI.

The *deadline for PhD students* is July 10th. For Postdocs, there is no
deadline and the search for qualified candidates will continue until the
slots are filled.

Interested PhD candidates should send a CV,  transcripts, three
reference letters, and a motivation statement to:
rleap.artint at gmail.com.  Postdocs should send a CV, contact details of
three references, and a research statement.

We are flexible to alleviate effects of COVID-19, with the possibility
of working remotely while needed, once the working documents are ready.

More details about the research can be found at:
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/CYn7Cnx1zVUxWBjpF96zAQ?domain=dtic.upf.edu

======