[PlanetKR] IAOA Summer Institute on Upper Ontologies: Call for Participation
gruninger at mie.utoronto.ca
Fri Jun 2 00:46:11 EST 2017
The International Association of Ontology and its Applications (IAOA) is
announcing the 2017 Summer Institute:
August 8-11, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Within the Applied Ontology community, upper ontologies are widely
recognized as tools to support the tasks of ontology design and semantic
integration. At the first Ontology Summit in 2006, the designers of
several prominent upper ontologies were joined by key ontology
with the purpose of finding a means to relate the different ontologies
to each other.
In the decade since that meeting, the development and application of
upper ontologies has continued,
yet many challenges remain.
The 2017 IAOA Summer Institute will explore the following topics:
- What are the foundational choices and the practical motivations of
present upper ontologies?
- What is the range of concepts that should be covered in an upper
- What are the relationships among upper ontologies?
- How do we evaluate upper ontologies?
- Using upper ontologies for semantic integration
- Using upper ontologies for ontology design
- Discussion of proposals for ISO 21838 (Top-Level Ontologies): content
and consensus-building methodology
Nicola Guarino (Institute of Cognitive Sciences and Technologies)
Barry Smith (University at Buffalo)
Michael Gruninger (University of Toronto)
Participants from all sectors of applied ontology are invited to
interact from August 8 to 11, in Toronto, Canada. As always, the Summer
Institute will challenge the state of the art through lively discussions
and hands-on problem solving rather than lengthy presentations.
The registration fee will be 500 CAD (350 Euros).
A limited number travel and attendance grants are available for students.
More information about the PlanetKR