[PlanetKR] CFP: Applied Ontology 10th anniversary issue

roberta.ferrario at cnr.it roberta.ferrario at cnr.it
Wed Apr 29 04:28:57 EST 2015

The journal Applied Ontology celebrates its 10th anniversary this
year. Since its first issue published was by IOS Press in 2005, the
journal has established itself as the leading academic source for
interdisciplinary research on ontological analysis and conceptual
modelling—carving out a previously unexplored research niche where
what matters most is the content, not the representation. Since then,
research on applied ontology has been acquiring more and more its own
shape, to the point that—perhaps—a new science is emerging. For sure,
we now can point to a body of accumulated results, in terms of formal
theories, methodologies and experiences, which increasingly are
forming a coherent whole.

We intend to celebrate the anniversary year of Applied Ontology with a
special issue aimed at an in-depth assessment of our research field
and a visionary exploration of its future prospects.

We are therefore launching an open call for:

a. In-depth state-of-the-art papers focusing on current progress and
on open challenges concerning specific ontological or conceptual
modelling problems;
b. Broad survey papers focusing on important application perspectives,
aimed at assessing the effectiveness of ontology-based techniques
and/or methodologies;
c. Visionary papers addressing the future of ontology-based systems
and the impact of ontologies and ontological analysis on technology
and society
d. Short position papers on matters of general interest for the broad
Applied Ontology community

All these papers will undergo a fast-track peer-review process,
adhering to our usual quality standards. Thanks to the kind support of
IOS Press, the five best papers falling into categories a, b, and c
above will receive a prize of $1000, and they will be published in
volume 10, issue 4 of Applied Ontology, together with the most
relevant position papers.  Space will be reserved in subsequent issues
of the journal for any remaining papers considered to be suitable for
publication.

Deadlines

To be considered for one of the prizes, papers falling in the
categories a-b-c above should be submitted by July 15, 2015. To be
considered for the special issue, position papers should be submitted
by October 1st, 2015.

Submission instructions

Authors are requested to submit their articles electronically
following the instructions published at www.applied-ontology.org,
clearly specifying in the accompanying letter that their paper is to
be considered for the anniversary issue, as well as the category to
which it belongs (a, b, c, or d). The maximum length for papers in
categories a-b-c is 35 pages (double-spaced), while the maximum length
for position papers is 10 pages (double-spaced).

Selection process and authorship constraints

At the end of the usual peer-review process, the final selection of
the five best papers will be performed by the  Applied Ontology
associate editors. For this reason, any papers co-authored by
associate editors of the journal (or their current trainees) will not
be eligible for being selected.  Apart from the restricted group of
associate editors, all members of the Applied Ontology Editorial Board
are warmly invited to participate to this call. Special consideration
will be given to papers authored or co-authored by young researchers
or by graduate students.