[PlanetKR] Summer School on Law and Logic

Mary-Anne Williams Mary-Anne at TheMagicLab.org
Thu Jan 10 12:15:02 EST 2013

Applications, with a submission deadline of 31 March 2013, are invited for
Summer School on Law and Logic
http://lawandlogic.org/<http://www.facebook.com/l/jAQFvpeGi/lawandlogic.org/>
be held 15-26 July 2013 at European University Institute in Florence.

Here is background information:

'Basic course: Logic, argumentation, and legal reason
The first part of the class (seven days) is the basic course: “Logic,
argumentation, and legal reason.” This basic course offers a detailed
presentation of propositional and predicate deductive logic, as well as the
use of logic for capturing representing deontic and Hohfeldian modalities,
analogical reasoning and inference to the best explanation. It also
presents some aspects of non-deductive reasoning in law, such as defeasible
reasoning, including argumentation schemes and inductive reasoning.
Throughout the course we pay careful attention to the way in which these
methods of argument can assist legal analysis. We believe that the kind of
background in formal logic we offer in this course can be a very powerful
tool for use in legal theory, for developing doctrinal legal research, for
working in legal informatics (the application of computer programs to the
analysis of law), and, more generally, for the practice of law.

'Special course: Logic, argumentation and the law of evidence

'The second part of the course (three days) is a special course: “Logic,
argumentation and the law of evidence.” In this part of the course we focus
on the methods of argument and reasoning that are specific to doctrines of
Evidence law, both in European jurisdictions and in the United States. It
includes: comparison of doctrines of evidence law in European jurisdiction
and the United States, a detailed explanation of Bayesian reasoning and its
application to evidentiary reasoning, evidence and argumentation theory,
presumptions, burdens of proof and burdens of production, concepts of
relevance in the law of evidence, the logic and epistemology of testimony,
and modes of logical inference, causality, and scientific evidence in
evidence law.

'The Summer School is jointly hosted by the European University Institute
(Florence, Italy) and the Harvard Law School (Cambridge, Mass., U.S.A.). It
is also sponsored by the Cardozo Law School (New York, N.Y., U.S.A.),
Cirsfid-University of Bologna (Italy), the University of Groningen (the
Netherlands), the European Academy of Legal Theory, and a grant from the
Erasmus Lifelong Learning Programme.

'The professors of the Summer School:
'Scott Brewer, Henry Prakken, Nino Rotolo, Bartosz Brozek, Giovanni Sartor,
Michele Taruffo, Peter Tillers'

HT IAAIL http://www.iaail.org/files/100cd58ebee8fa1d87d3a14b1c2ea214-98.html<http://www.facebook.com/l/gAQEmJzwk/www.iaail.org/files/100cd58ebee8fa1d87d3a14b1c2ea214-98.html>

------
Professor Mary-Anne Williams
Director, Innovation and Enterprise Research Lab
Associate Dean (Research and Development)
Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology
University of Technology, Sydney
*
Research and Development Office
Building 2 Level 7 Room 7092