[PlanetKR] KR 2014 Doctoral Consortium - Call for Applications (amended)
adrianrp at unimelb.edu.au
Fri Dec 20 15:02:14 EST 2013
Call for Applications
July 20-24, 2014
The 14th International Conference on Principles of Knowledge Representation and Reasoning (KR 2014) invites PhD students to apply for the Doctoral Consortium program.
1) AIMS AND SCOPE
The Doctoral Consortium is a student mentoring program that introduces students to senior researchers with similar research interests. The aims of the consortium are:
* to provide a forum for students to present their current research, and receive feedback from other students and senior researchers;
* to promote contacts among PhD students working in similar areas;
* to support students with information and advice on academic, research and industrial careers.
The Doctoral Consortium is intended for students who have a specific research proposal and some preliminary results, but who have sufficient time prior to completing their dissertation to benefit from the consortium experience.
We encourage submissions from PhD students at any level, and from any topic area within Knowledge Representation and Reasoning.
A number of student grants will be available to support student participation.
2) APPLICATION SUBMISSION
Applications must be submitted via our online submission site (see below). Each application must contain the following materials:
* Thesis summary: A description of the problem being addressed, your motivation for addressing the problem, proposed plan of research, the progress to date (what you have already achieved and what remains to be done), and related work. It must be four pages maximum in AAAI style (http://www.aaai.org/Publications/Author/author.php).
* Curriculum Vitae: A description of your background and relevant experience (research, education, employment).
* Letter of recommendation: A letter from your thesis advisor that states that he/she supports your participation in the DC.
* (Optional) You can suggest 3-5 potential mentors with similar research interests as you, who could give you good advice on technical aspects of your work, and/or your career.
* (Optional) Specify 3 to 5 questions you would like to ask your mentor and give some keywords that describe you research interests
The most preferred way of submission is to combine the thesis summary and the letter of recommendation (and, optionally, the list of suggested mentors) into a single PDF document. If you cannot do that, archive the documents into a single zip file. In either case, the resulting single file has to be submitted via the EasyChair system at
3) IMPORTANT DATES
Feb 21, 2014 : Deadline for application
March 28, 2014 : Acceptance notification July 20-24, 2014 : Doctoral Consortium
For further information, please contact the Doctoral Consortium chairs:
Birte Glimm, University of Ulm (birte.glimm at uni-ulm.de) Adrian Pearce, University of Melbourne (adrianrp at unimelb.edu.au)
More information about the PlanetKR