[PlanetKR] Job: Chief Scientist, Knowledge Sciences

Mary-Anne Williams Mary-Anne at it.uts.edu.au
Thu Aug 11 06:06:27 EST 2005

Chief Scientist, Knowledge Sciences

Information Sciences and Engineering Division
Computational and Information Sciences Directorate
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
Richland, Washington

The Position:
The Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is a U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Science multi-program research laboratory operated by Battelle Memorial Institute. PNNL is located in the city of Richland in Southeastern Washington State.

PNNL has distinctive signatures and substantial expertise, research programs and facilities in computational and information sciences and is seeking to expand its expertise and research programs in Knowledge Sciences.

Our work in the Knowledge Sciences Technical Group is focused on addressing client requirements for managing and exploiting data, information, and knowledge.  With a goal of delivering actionable knowledge to our clients through our R&D efforts, we apply knowledge elicitation, knowledge representation, and knowledge management techniques to challenges that are important to the DOE, Department of Defense (DoD), the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), the intelligence community, other federal agencies, and private industry.  We are actively working to expand our focus, impact, and programs in the area of Knowledge Sciences and are looking for a Chief Scientist to provide scientific and technical leadership so that we can build on our strong base in data and information management and our developing base in Knowledge Sciences.

The Chief Scientist must be able to obtain a DOE Q security clearance which in turn requires U.S. Citizenship. Although a standard employment arrangement is preferred, we would be willing to consider other options if the qualified candidate is a tenured university professor.

Character of the Position:
We wish to attract an individual who has experience in most of the following areas:
Ph.D. in computer science, computational sciences, mathematics, or related field;
At least 8 years experience beyond the Ph.D. and postdoctoral level, with an established research career and reputation in computer science, computational science, or mathematics;
Demonstrated success in developing productive and impactful research programs in computer science, computational science, mathematics, or related fields;
Impactful publications in Knowledge Sciences;
Experience or knowledge of government programs in DOE, DoD, DHS, the intelligence community, or other government agencies;
Strong communication skills, with ability to develop and communicate vision;
Experience in complex, multidisciplinary projects involving Knowledge Sciences;
Strong knowledge of issues and emerging trends in Knowledge Sciences.
Publishing/presentations in tier one journals.

Schedule, Salary and to Apply:
The position is available immediately.  Salary and benefits are highly competitive.
Resumes and/or inquiries, referrals, or requests for additional information pertaining to our research, the Lab or the location should be sent to: Angela Nelson, Knowledge Sciences Search Committee Contact, P.O. 999, K7-98, Richland, WA 99352; (509) 372-4221; angela.nelson at pnl.gov

PNNL is an EEO/AA employer and values diversity in the workplace.  F/M/D/V are encouraged to apply.

--
Professor Mary-Anne Williams
Director, Innovation and Technology Research Laboratory